FEATURED GLASS: STADIP / COOL-LITE
The Whitworth is an award winning art gallery in Manchester, containing about 55,000 items in its collection. The gallery is located in Whitworth Park and is part of the University of Manchester.
The £15 million development was awarded Building of the Year prize in the RIBA North West Regional Awards and RIBA National Award.
The Whitworth has notable collections of watercolours, sculptures, wallpapers and textiles. The gallery focuses on modern artists, and the art collections include works by Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Ford Madox Brown, Eduardo Paolozzi, Francis Bacon, William Blake, David Hockney, L. S. Lowry, Paul Gauguin, Vincent van Gogh and Pablo Picasso, and a fine collection of works by J. M. W. Turner.
The use of STADIP and COOL-LITE coated glass is vital to ensure the indoor space does not overheat due to huge expanses of glass. Solar control glass will also help protect art from damage caused by solar radiation.
- Client: University of Manchester Estates, The Whitworth
- Architect: MUMA (McInnes Usher McKnight Architects)
- M&E engineer: Buro Happold
- Main contractor: ISG/Manchester & Cheshire Construction
- Facade consultant: Arup Facade Engineering
- Glass processor: Glassolutions